This is a list of Toki Pona learning resources, based on recommendations from the kama sona learning server on Discord. There are multiple ways to learn a language, like grammar lessons, exercises, flashcards, media consumption, and speaking practice. If one method is not helping you, try the others.
Joining a community will help you practice using the language and let proficient speakers catch your mistakes.
Introductory overview[edit | edit source]
Start by watching toki pona in 18 minutes by ilo Tani
Official books[edit | edit source]
The official books are by Sonja Lang, the creator of Toki Pona!
- Toki Pona: The Language of Good (lipu pu), a lesson book with exercises
- Toki Pona Dictionary (lipu ku), a dictionary of example translations between English and Toki Pona
- Available in English
Online courses[edit | edit source]
- lipu sona pona by /dev/urandom
- lipu sona by soweli Tesa
- o pilin e toki pona video lessons, full immersion method
- 12 Days of sona pi toki pona by jan Misali
- See 12 Days of sona pi toki pona § Corrections and commentary for notes on some errors in this video series.
- Learn Toki Pona! video lessons by jan Kekan San (WIP) video lessons
- Learn Toki Pona! written lessons by jan Kekan San (WIP)
Dictionaries[edit | edit source]
- nimi.pona.la, dictionary based on Sonja Lang's community polling, by jan Sasi
- Linku, a searchable dictionary by kala Asi.
- Recommended to select only "core words" and "widespread words".
- Available in multiple languages.
Flashcards[edit | edit source]
- Toki Pona Memrise deck by jan Antele
- Goes with /dev/urandom's lessons. Has community-made/unofficial words in common use.
- Anki deck sorted by word frequency
Others[edit | edit source]
- nasin toki pona, a detailed grammar for Toki Pona by jan Juli
- Available in German
- Toki Pona Cheat Sheet by jan Sa
- toki pona today, a set of lessons with audio and per-word exercises
See also[edit | edit source]
|Development and usage||jan Sonja · Toki Pona: The Language of Good (2014) · Tokiponidos · Software (Tools · Fonts) · suno pi toki pona · Toki Pona census · Toki Pona Dictionary (2021) · UCSUR · ijo Linku · ISO 639-3|
|Conventions||Phonology (Phonotactics) · Words (Tokiponization) · Grammar (Word order) · Writing systems (sitelen Lasina · sitelen pona · sitelen sitelen) · luka pona (sign language) · Number systems · Calendar systems · Styles (pu · pu-rism · ku · Nonstandard)|
|Philosophy||Minimalism · Context · Circumlocution · Expression · Lexicalization · Multiple sentences · Comparisons|
|Resources||Frequently asked questions · Courses · Dictionaries · Cheat sheets · Visual aids · Communities · Websites · Media|