(Redirected from FAQ)
This page links frequently asked questions about Toki Pona to relevant articles.
General[edit | edit source]
- Is Toki Pona a real language? Yes.
- How fast can you learn Toki Pona? There are some bold claims about this. Learning any language takes time and practice. Proficiency might take a few months, and fluency can take longer. You'll learn faster by practicing with other speakers, who can also catch mistakes.
- How many words does Toki Pona have?
- What is the philosophy of Toki Pona?
- If Toki Pona is minimalistic, why does it have…?
- Where can I learn Toki Pona?
- What do all of the grammatical terms mean?
Grammar[edit | edit source]
- What order do words go in?
- How do particles like li / o, e, pi, and la work?
- How do you say "and"? Repeat the corresponding particle. Between multiple subjects, use en.
- How does anu work?
- How do you ask questions in Toki Pona? seme means "what". Yes-or-no questions use "verb ala verb" or "…anu seme?"
- How do prepositions work?
- Is kepeken e correct?
- How do preverbs work?
Vocabulary[edit | edit source]
- How do you say "please"?
- How do you say "hello" and "goodbye" / "thank you" / "sorry"? Toki Pona: The Language of Good gives some example phrases. You can create other options for specific situations.
- What is the word / phrase for…? There aren't fixed phrases for most concepts, by design. Describe things dynamically, and refer back to those descriptions.
- What would this phrase mean?
- Can I coin a new word for…?
Expression[edit | edit source]
- How do you talk about things without their own words?
- How do I fit this idea into a sentence?
- How do I choose a name in Toki Pona?
Usage[edit | edit source]
- Give me a break. Show me the bibliography.
- Show me the speaking language community.
- Is Toki Pona on Duolingo? No (as of July 2023), but there are Duolingo-like resources.
- What makes for good handwriting or fonts for sitelen pona?
|Development and usage||jan Sonja · Toki Pona: The Language of Good (2014) · Tokiponidos · Software (Tools · Fonts) · suno pi toki pona · Toki Pona census · Toki Pona Dictionary (2021) · UCSUR · ijo Linku · ISO 639-3|
|Conventions||Phonology (Phonotactics) · Words (Tokiponization) · Grammar (Word order) · Writing systems (sitelen Lasina · sitelen pona · sitelen sitelen) · luka pona (sign language) · Number systems · Calendar systems · Styles (pu · pu-rism · ku · Nonstandard)|
|Philosophy||Minimalism · Context · Circumlocution · Expression · Lexicalization · Multiple sentences|
|Resources||Frequently asked questions · Courses · Dictionaries · Cheat sheets · Visual aids · Communities · Websites · Media|