|Pronunciation||/ˈki.je.te.san.ta.ka.lu/ (listen)/j/ sounds like English Y, as in "fjord" or "hallelujah".|
|Usage||2023: Widespread (75% ↗ )|
2022: Widespread (73%)
|Book and era||nimi ku suli (pre-pu)|
|Part of speech||Content word|
kijetesantakalu is a widespread pre-pu word and nimi ku suli describing raccoons and other procyonid animals. It was coined by Sonja Lang as an April Fools' joke in 2009. It is by far the longest Toki Pona word currently in use. Due to the word's length, it is often pronounced with secondary stress on the syllable ta, or more rarely ka or san.
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Semantic space[edit | edit source]
As of announcing the word, Lang was undecided on whether to include red pandas as kijetesantakalu. She resurfaced the issue on ma pona pi toki pona in 2021, suggesting that the semantic space expand to cover the Musteloidea superfamily, which also includes weasels, otters, martens, badgers, and skunks.
Some speakers expand the semantic space of kijetesantakalu further to include other animals, such as the Japanese raccoon dog, and Sinosauropteryx, a small, chestnut-colored dinosaur with feather patterns of a bandit-like mask and a striped tail.
Rarely, kijetesantakalu is used in relation to April Fools' Day and practical jokes, referencing the word's origins.
ku[edit | edit source]
Earnestness[edit | edit source]
kijetesantakalu was originally a joke word. The word is now used for other reasons as well, be it as a symbol of identity or simply liking the sitelen pona glyph. These speakers sometimes shorten it to kijete or kije, especially to use it as a headnoun. See Abbreviations § kijetesantakalu. Opinions on the word's seriousness vary between speakers.
sitelen pona[edit | edit source]
The most recognized sitelen pona glyph for kijetesantakalu () was designed by jan Same in 2019. It won a glyph design contest for the font linja pona, and spread from there. The glyph is featured in the Esperanto edition of Toki Pona: The Language of Good.
Other glyphs which may be in use by a small minority of users include the ones below:
Glyph variant designed by Jack Humbert, used in sitelen pona pona
Glyph proposal by Elemenopi
Glyph proposal by Heresdevking
sitelen sitelen[edit | edit source]
The current sitelen sitelen glyph for kijetensatakalu was designed by jan Saki in 2021. jan Pensa and palisa jelo Natan have also created proposals for a full-body variant, inspired by the sitelen pona glyph.
Full-body glyph proposal by jan Pensa in 2021
Close up and full-body and designs proposals by palisa jelo Natan
nasin kijetesantakalu[edit | edit source]
On this blessed anniversary of kijetesantakalu, I would like to formally clarify that en is a subject marker that is omitted at the beginning of a sentence. The default and recommended word order in Toki Pona has always been subject–verb–object, but other structures are possible for stylistic effect.
She provided examples of the six possible word orders.
- SVO: mi moku e kili.
- SOV: mi e kili li moku.
- VSO: li moku en mi e kili.
- VOS: li moku e kili en mi.
- OVS: e kili li moku en mi. kili li kama moku tan mi.
- OSV: e kili en mi moku. kili la mi moku e ona.
nasin kijetesantakalu is generally not used among speakers. However, some have adopted it in their own nasin.
Number system[edit | edit source]
nasin nanpa kijetesantakalu is a joke number system created by soweli nata and featured in the Toki Pona Dictionary. It consists of the word kijetesantakalu with a different stressed syllable. The stress is not written in the orthography, making all digits indistinguishable in writing.
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- jan Pensa [@jpensa]. (6 July 2021). [Message posted in the
#sona-kulupuchannel in the ma pona pi toki pona Discord server]. Discord.
I pronounce kijetesantakalu with accent on... Option
(n = 43)
ki 28 je 9 te 3 san 9 ta 20 ka 13 lu 1
- Lang, Sonja (1 April 2009). "New official word / Nova oficiala vorto". Toki Pona Forums. Retrieved 2 October 2023.
- jan Sonja [@sonjalang]. (26 January 2021). [Message posted in the
#toki-ponachannel in the ma pona pi toki pona Discord server]. "we should seriously consider broadening kijetesantakalu from procyonid to Musteloidea, as per the footnote in the original kijetesantakalu announcement". Discord. Retrieved 5 November 2023.
- the spiders [@neonpixii]. (31 August 2021). [Informal poll posted in the
#sona-kulupuchannel in the ma pona pi toki pona Discord server]. "sinosauropteryx li ken ala ken kijetesantakalu". Discord. Retrieved 5 November 2023.
- Lang, Sonja (2021). Toki Pona Dictionary. Illustrated by Vacon Sartirani. Tawhid. ISBN 978-0978292362. p. 248.
- James Flear. (12 July 2019). "toki! After a week of voting, I present to you **the winners of the *“New sitelen pona glyph contest”.***". Facebook. Archived from the original on 9 August 2023. Retrieved 28 November 2023.
- Gabel, Jonathan (5 September 2021). Designing glyphs - sitelen suwi pi nimi ku suli. jonathangabel.com. Archived from the original on 2 June 2023. Retrieved 11 October 2023.
- lon Jawin (6 October 2021). "pali len pi sitelen sitelen pi nimi ku suli". In lipu tenpo nanpa toki (in Toki Pona). lipu tenpo.
- Lang, Sonja [@sonjalang]. (1 April 2021). [Message posted in the
#toki-ponachannel in the ma pona pi toki pona Discord server]. Discord.
- Lang, Sonja (2021). Toki Pona Dictionary. Illustrated by Vacon Sartirani. Tawhid. ISBN 978-0978292362. p. 9.
For those who yearn for a more sophisticated and robust number system, I personally endorse the kijetesantakalu-based system, innovated by soweli nata in alignment with the values system of Toki Pona. See near the end of this book.
Further reading[edit | edit source]
- "kijetesantakalu" on lipu Linku
- "kijetesantakalu" on lipu Wikipesija
- "kijetesantakalu" on English Wiktionary