|Usage||2023: Core (99% ↘ )|
2022: Core (100%)
|Book and era||nimi pu|
|Part of speech||Content word|
Etymology[edit | edit source]
Semantic space[edit | edit source]
The semantic space of sewi, when used as a direction word, includes upwards and things physically elevated. It is sometimes used to refer to north as upwards is the conventional direction as shown in most maps, however, lete is more commonly used.
When used figuratively, its semantic space includes divinity and sacredness. It is used as a headnoun for gods, such as sewi Ila[a] for Allah, as well as jan sewi for anthropomorphic gods, however, this can also mean "devoted person", such as a practitioner or a religious leader.
pu[edit | edit source]
NOUN area above, highest part, something elevated
ADJECTIVE awe-inspiring, divine, sacred, supernatural
ku[edit | edit source]
divine5, God2, rise2 , above2 , superior2 , magical2 , summit2 , weather2 , upstairs2 , religious2 , arise2, upper5 , sacred4 , top4 , holy4 , sky4 , elevated4 , high3 , spiritual3 , raise3 , supreme3 , highly3 , peak3
sitelen pona[edit | edit source]The sitelen pona glyph for sewi is derived from the Arabic word الله (Allāh), meaning "God". There is an alternative, secular version of sewi similar to other glyphs for location words, published in the Esperanto translation of the book Toki Pona: The Language of Good. This version was first proposed by ilo Enke in 2021.
Some Muslims reject the original glyph in pu in favor of the secular form, as Allah is considered a sacred name, to which Muslims are supposed to show reverence. There are several alternate glyphs for sewi, both religious (derived from religious symbols) and secular.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- In section "Proper Names" in the original publication of the book Toki Pona: The Language of Good, the preferred tokiponization given by Sonja Lang for Allah was jan sewi Ila, using the Arabic word إله (ʾilāh), meaning "[a] god", to avoid confusion with jan ala. Lang has since retracted this part and requested it to be removed from mirrors of the book, such as in lipu pi jan Ne.
References[edit | edit source]
- Word Origins. Archived from the original on 2 November 2019. Toki Pona.
- lipamanka. "toki pona dictionary". lipamanka.gay.
- ilo Enke [@the_whatevers] (20 February 2021). [Message posted in the
#pali-musichannel in the ma pona pi toki pona Discord server]. "sewi is anpa but the other way and ete is like a closed box with a dot on top (see linja-suwi)". Discord.
- jan Juwan [@juwan.] (21 October 2023). [Informal poll posted in the
#sona-kulupuchannel in the ma pona pi toki pona Discord server]. Discord. Data retrieved 27 October 2023.
Are you Muslim and do you prefer
the secular or pu form of sewi?
Options Votes I am Muslim and prefer the secular version 2 I am Muslim and prefer the pu version 1 I am not Muslim and prefer the secular version 15 I am not Muslim and prefer the pu version 46
- jan Salinsen [@starlingmelody] (20 April 2023). [Message posted in the
#99 glyphs for sewithread in the
#toki-sulichannel in the ma pona pi toki pona Discord server]. Discord.